Well, I know the feeling but still, there are some dishes which kids keep in their desired food list and we put on top of our healthy food list.
These vegetarian Mexican rajma burritos definitely score high on that list.
High in protein red kidney beans, lots of salad and whole wheat wraps make them really healthy while some cheese spread and mustard sauce makes kids very happy (and their fathers too though they will never admit it).
So here is my adaptation of the Mexican burritos – healthy red kidney bean (rajma) burritos.
Red kidney bean burritos/ Rajma Burritos
Red Kidney bean Burrito | Rajma Wrap
- 1 cup boiled red kidney beans /rajma
For the wraps (roti):
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
For salad mixture:
- 2 cups chopped raw vegetable cucumbers, tomato, onions, and capsicum
- ½ cup corn kernels optional
- ½ cup grated cabbage and carrots
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- tomato ketchup
- Cheese spread
- mustard sauce
- Toss all chopped vegetables in a bowl and mix with salt, oregano, and pepper. The salad mixture is ready.
- Mix salt in flour and make a soft dough with water.
- Knead the dough and keep it for 15-20 minutes. ( you can prepare the salad at this time)
- Knead again and divide into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion using rolling pins with the help of little flour.
- Cook lightly on both sides on a griddle (tava).
To assemble Burrito
- Place one hot burrito wrap on a plate and apply some ketchup, mustard sauce, and cheese spread on it.
- Spread a spoonful of cooked red kidney beans (rajma) in the center.
- Put two spoons of salad mixture on it.
- Spread some mustard sauce on it.
- Just roll it up and watch the magic.
For red kidney bean burritos:
For Red kidney bean:
Soak 1 cup of red kidney beans in 3 cups of water overnight. Combine with 1tsp salt and pressure cook for 20 minutes till the beans are soft.
Check the detailed recipe of Rajma Masala.
For salad mixture:
You can add any vegetables you have for salad. My kids eat all the vegetables in this salad as the flavor of Rajma and sauces is dominant in this recipe.
I find this the best way to feed them veggies.
You can use any sauces that you like. To make it healthier you can also use homemade Mayonnaise which is made with curd.
I prefer homemade whole wheat Roti/ tortilla for rajma burrito. you can also use store-bought tortillas also for this recipe if that is what you prefer. It will cut down cooking time and will be ready in a jiffy.
This red kidney bean Burrito recipe is a good choice for kids staying in dorms/ hostel who have to cook their own food and want to eat healthily without compromising on taste.