Lobia Masala Recipe – Lobia Curry or Black-eyed beans Curry is quite easy to make Indian Curry. It makes a perfect Vegetarian side dish and can be served with roti/ paratha or Rice. It has a very unique flavor. I was not a big fan of this curry when I was a child but Now I love it. And so do kids. We make it a point to have dal/ rajma/Chole or Lobia in lunch daily.
Is Lobia good for health?
Lobia, also known as Chawli is a rich source of fiber and thus improves digestion. Because of fiber, it is more nutritious than dhuli/ hulled Dals. This property also makes it more suitable for weight management. It has many vitamins and minerals making it beneficial for general health, skin, and hair. Being a good source of protein it is much appreciated in kids diet also.
How to make Lobia Masala
Lobia Masala is very easy to make. you just need proper planning.
Clean, wash and soak lobia in 3 cups of clean water for at least 3 hours before cooking. There is no need to soak it overnight like Rajma or Chole.
I always Pressure cook the soaked Lobia with water in which it is soaked as it has nutrients and should not be thrown away. that is why always wash it properly before soaking to remove impurities.
After the steam escapes open the pressure cooker and check Lobia. It should be soft and mashable. If it is not, cook for some more time. Check the salt also and if it is less then add it before cooking again.
- 1 cup Lobia clean, wash, and soak lobia in 3 cups of clean water for at least 3 hours before cooking
- salt to taste I use around 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder/ Haldi
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp Heeng/asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Jeera/ cumin seeds
- 1 tej patta/bay leaf
- a small piece of dalchini/cinnamon stick
- 1 green chili chopped
- a piece of grated ginger
- 1 tomato chopped finely or pureed
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder it will depend on its hotness. mine is not very hot
- 1 tsp Dhania/coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves/ cilantro to garnish
- rice boiled
- roti or paratha
To boil Lobia
- Pressure cook the soaked Lobia with water( use the same one in which Lobia is soaked), salt, and turmeric powder. Don't throw the water in which we soak it. I use the same water for cooking Lobia.
- After 1 whistle on high reduce the flame to low and let it cook for 8-10 more minutes. After the steam escapes open the pressure cooker and check Lobia. It should be soft and mashable. If it is not, cook for some more time. Check the salt also and if it is less then add it before cooking again.
To make Curry
- In a pan or kadai heat oil. When it's hot add heeng, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and Jeera/cumin seeds. Wait for cumin seeds to crackle. Add chopped green chili, grated ginger, red chili powder, and dhania powder. Now add chopped or pureed tomatoes and let it cook stirring frequently. when the tomato mixture starts leaving the oil or coming together it is ready.
- Add cooked lobia and garam masala to the tomato mixture. Give it a good stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. Mash some lobia to get a thick curry.
- Lobia Masala or Black-eyed Curry is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander/ cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with Rice, Roti or Paratha.
Don’t Forget to Pin
When you make this Lobia Masala recipe don’t forget to tag us on Instagram and Facebook or use this hashtag #whatscookingmom
And You can share your pics with us on email also (email@example.com)